Alpine Tracks

To: Paul Heuer <paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject: Alpine Tracks
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:00:47 +1000
Paul

Not according to Page although I suspect you knew that. Alpines with wire
wheels have wider tracks than those with disc, by 1/4 inch front and 2 inch
at rear.  And S4s  have wider tracks than S1,2,3s

I reckon this narrower rear track thing is to with strait line stability,
particularly in rear drive cars where the back wheels are always trying to
pass the front.  David Sosna's first explanation is nearly there, but I
don't agree that the widest track actually 'steers' the car - it determines
how the car 'tracks' - there is a subtle difference.  Even in cars with
wider rear tracks (eg Mazda MX5) the front wheels do the steering - just
that the rears influence the tracking.  This gives the car a more nervous or
responsive feel.

Incidentally I now have my 12 tooth speedo pinion and the transmission is
back in the car - Engine next!

Vic Hughes

1963 S3 Alpine
1984 Brock Commodore