Re: Gel coat

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gel coat
From: "Steve Griffing" <bartdog@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:11:55 -0400
Time to clear the air a little.
Some gelcoats are tinted, like the black or white after market pieces.
Some have a clear gelcoat, then paint(Which is why some metaflakes look
weird) then the resin/mat layers.  BTW, all gelcoat is is resin with a
"Thicksotropic" added(Like cornstarch)..
Painting the backside of the gelcoat was common practice in the KitCar
industry in the 60's and 70's.
There is a good book on fiberglass called "Composite materials" available
through Summit, Borders etc. Lot's of great info but not too technical.