Weber Gaskets and Brakes

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Weber Gaskets and Brakes
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 13:44:58 -0700
For what it's worth to anyone, I tightened my carbs up with the vibration
gaskets still in there, until each nut was basically bottomed out with
equal firmness, but not tight-tight.  I then backed each off about 1/8 of a
turn.  I think my problem is gone.  But, I only had my drive to work today
to tell.  We'll see.

On my brakes, as some of you know, because of the Webers, there is not room
for the full MC, even with removing the spacer.  So, I went to Pegasus
Racing and got their shortest MC, which really isn't much different, but
just enough, without the spacer.  This MC however is a smaller bore -
meaning more throw to get the same result, and a slightly softer pedal.  I
hated it with the servo, so took that out.  Even still, and after all sorts
of bleeding, it was longer travel and softer than I would have liked.  I
always blamed the smaller bore.  Well, on the way home from work on Friday,
I decided to move the pedal out.  My yoke has two holes and the pedal arm
has two holes.  I had it on the two that would make it furthest from me.  I
ended up with the same hole on the brake lever, but on the closer hole on
the yoke.  My brakes changed instantly to a much firmer pedal.  In fact,
it's a very nice one.  My only guess is that having it on the other hole
caused the lever to be too far into the yoke and it was binding and never
coming back enough which may have had some impact on one of the valves or
something (though I never noticed it binding).  Either that or this is the
"brightness before the bulb blows" or the "calm before the storm" and I'm
about to lose them entirely.

Jay