RE: Weber vibration gaskets

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Weber vibration gaskets
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:54:59 -0700
Jay wrote,

>To those of you with Webers, or any other carb for that matter, using
>vibration gaskets, how are those supposed to be tightened?  I was having a
>little leak through one from what I suspect was that the carb was not
>perfectly parallel to the manifold.  I also have these little rubber
>washers under the nuts holding down the carbs.  I assume I'm supposed to
>tighten them so that these rubber washers are basically uniformly squished
>and the plastic part of the vibration gaskets are almost touching the carbs
>and manifold on both sides, but not actually touching.  Is that right?

The rubber washers are imperative to keep the o-rings under tension.
Running without the rubber washers will crush the plastic o-ring
retainers, and then you have a big leak.

The tension is important, but I am not familiar of a procedure.
What seems to work is tightening the all the nuts 1/4 turn at a time
until the orings are fully comressed "tightened to the exact gap of the
retainer".
When this occurs, the retainer is only compressed by the inetia of the
carbs when the engine pushes towards them.
AND...
The orings are under the maximum crush that can be exerted without damaging
the retainers.
Anyhow, this procedure does work.

>FYI, AEM in Gardena seems to be out of business.

Really?
Breaks my heart.

In any case buying these from AEM or most other suppliers doesnt
make sense.  Most charge nearly $20 a pair, but they can be bought for
several dollars from performance parts wharehouse in NY.

If anyone thinks they should be ditched entirely, I'm interested in hearing
>that too.

No, dont ditch them till you get fuel injection.
They are needed or else the fuel float level changes due to vibration
influence of the needle valves.

Jarrid Gross