sway bars

To: robert nanzig <rnanzig@webtv.net>
Subject: sway bars
From: "V.Hughes" <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:48:50 +1000
Robert

Have no experience with rear sway bar on Alpines but I once fitted one
to a 1965 Holden (that's a GM car, Ford Falcon size, in Australia).
These cars were terminal understeerers (it nearly was terminal for me on
one occasion - after 30 years the vision of going head on toward a tree
in a car that was not responding to steering input is still fresh in my
mind!) and the sway bar reduced this trait substantially, making the car
near-neutral.  You could expect a similar result on an Alpine as the
principal holds good, but what degree of change is hard to say.  The bar
basically increases the roll stiffness at the rear which helps the front
end grip better.  It sounds counter-intuitive at first but it works.

However the Tiger bar (even if it fits) may be too strong for an
Alpine.  I'm sure Tigers had stiffer springs and the sway bar would have
probably been 'tuned' to them.

That's my opinion.  Now let's see what the experts say

Vic Hughes