Polishing aluminum

To: "(unknown)" <ALPINES@autox.team.net>
Subject: Polishing aluminum
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 00:01:59 -0400
<Hello again,
Need some quick detailing advice for cleaning/polishing/restoring aluminum.

I am rebuilding strombergs and would like to know how to bring back the
finish on them as well as the finish on the aluminum valve cover.
What have you done?
Thanks,
Pete Sanville
66 Alpine
B395004314>

Pete,

Depending on how badly corroded your valve cover is, and how much of a
shine you want, you have a lot of options. If it's not too badly corroded,
smooth but milky looking, I would use some "Mother's Mag Wheel, and
Aluminum Polish." It will take the light oxidation off and restore it to a
nice shine. If the aluminum surface is a little rough, you may have to
remove the valve cover and actually buff it with a buffing wheel. The idea
is to get the surface of the metal as smooth as possible. Sometimes this
requires sanding the surface with 1200 grit before polishing with softer
and softer buffing wheels. Good luck!

Tom