[6pack] Ugh. Problems starting. Starter

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[A0634FB0:01CEC494]
Subject: [6pack] Ugh. Problems starting. Starter
From: James_ TR6 <jattr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 22:09:43 -0400
Update:
I think I know what the problem is!!!
The end of the starter has a dome cap. Mine is missing! I can see the center
shaft sticking out and it wiggles! I'll bet inside the cap were some needle
bearings! That would explain why it actually is engaging and turning the engine
some. But the bearings are missing that would keep everything aligned and focus
the torque. At least in my mind.
When starters have gone bad in the past they never turn the engine. Just the
click of death. Hmmmm. Maybe a shop can replace the bearing and dome cup and
bench test the starter.... They will probably charge full rebuild price for
that though.
I doubt the special bearings and some cup can be purchased by me.
Taking out and sending to a shop tomorrow before I fly back west. (Home). I'll
return another day to piece together and see about saving money to have
transported out west so I can give it the love it deserves.

bSent from my Atari 2600b