[6pack] Numbers Painted on the Block - John Mac?

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Numbers Painted on the Block - John Mac?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:51:09 -0700
        John:

        There were some engines that were genuine Triumph factory replacements.
have forgotten what they were called. The factory would swap out a motor on a
dealer warranty claim, or sometimes on the assembly line if a problem was
found. As I recall the engine numbers had a different prefix, and the car
would not have a matching engine number. "Matching" in this case means within
a couple hundred of the commission number - Triumph engines do not match the
commission number exactly, but are very close numerically if it is the
original engine.
        So, if you check the engine number, what is the prefix and engine
number, and
what is your commission number? I am thinking that the orange paint on the
side may also indicate one of these factory supplied replacement engines. That
is just a guess, as I do not have any personal experience. Seems like I read
about it in one of my books on TR6s, perhaps John's Williams book.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast