Re: [6pack] New Engine AUTOpsy / oil filter

To: John VanNorman <jsvannorman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] New Engine AUTOpsy / oil filter
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:53:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, John VanNorman wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how would you improperly install the spin-on
> adapter?  I know some people (including myself) have installed it at a
> slight angle to avoid the oil filter hitting the clutch slave.  Would
> turning it too much be the problem?

There are two different o-rings that come with the Mocal adapter. Call
them thick and thin. The installation call for installing one or the other
along with some modelling clay and you tighten the unit to the block (and
then remove it). You check the clay to determine whether the gasket
(o-ring) is sealing. You then stay with the ring that you chose or you use
the other one depending on what you see.

There's another failure mode that I've seen. The o-ring can get squished
in use and if you pull the adapter and try to reinstall with a squished
gasket, you get a failure (and the unfitered oil through the motor.) I've
had one adapter do that TWICE on my street car.

:-(

But the angle should be no problem...

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489