Re: [6pack] TR6 oil gallery leak

To: PeterSchop@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 oil gallery leak
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:14:48 GMT
Peter---As Mr. Lang said, these plugs come in stick form (about five plugs to a
stick). They have straight threads on them. 3/4" fine, I'm reasonably certain.
When the machine shop hot tanked my block many years ago, all of the plugs
except this one was removed. This aluminum plug was never a good seal after
that. If you use the stick as a replacement, I would suggest that you cut off
one piece of it (easy to know where, when you see it), then hacksaw a slot at
one end so you can insert it with a screwdriver.
Looking back, I could never get the replacement plug to seal, as it is exposed
to the full oil pressure at this point. All sorts of sealer was used, in about
three or four different attempts.
I finally ended up using a 3"X 3/4"x16 bolt, cut off to where there were only
about 1/2 of an inch of threads left below the shank. Screwing this bolt into
the block to where the threads end against the shank tightened it up to where
the leak stopped.  Yes, the bolt head is exposed to critical eyes, but it
doesn't leak! Put a Happy Face on it?

Dick