[6pack] Ride height question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Ride height question
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 09:31:26 -0700 (PDT)
Last weekend I helped a friend install the Goodparts adjustable trailing arm
brackets in an attempt to cure the ruptured duck look on the rear wheels of his
TR 6.&nbsp; When we removed&nbsp; the Goodparts performance springs (I'm not
sure&nbsp;what&nbsp;he calls them) I compared them to the stock ones and
noticed that they were at least an inch shorter.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even with the
aluminum spacers he had been&nbsp;using, the negative camber (is that the right
term) with these springs was way too much. He also complained about the harsh
ride so we&nbsp;reinstalled the stock springs at the same time.
&nbsp;
The newly installed stock stock springs ride considerably better than the
"racing" springs which is logical and the ruptured duck look was
remedied.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since then he noticed&nbsp;that the wheel to fender height
has eased considerably which is&nbsp;probably the way his 75&nbsp;TR 6 looked
when it was new.&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;
This brings up two questions, one is why was the effect of the Goodparts
springs so great? and secondly, what caused&nbsp;the increase in height between
the early 6s and the later sixes?&nbsp; I know the increased height was due to
government mandates.&nbsp; Was this&nbsp;increased heightr accomplished by a
change&nbsp;in the configuration of the trailing arms?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so could
replacing the&nbsp;late model trailing arms with those from an earlier ones
reduce the ride height?&nbsp; Also, how did they&nbsp;increase the front ride
height?.
&nbsp;
Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;