Re: [6pack] 02 sensor locations

To: johncnorth@gmail.com (John North)
Subject: Re: [6pack] 02 sensor locations
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:09:06 -0700
John N.---Lots of good info from others on the list. Some really high
tech! If you are just adding an 02 to connect to and A/F Monitor, rather
than one that feeds info to a computer, it can be relatively simple.
Nelson called me some years ago after knowing that I had the K&N A/F
monitor/ 02 sensor kit installed. Being Nelson, he improved what I had
so that he could read the output of both carburetors at the same time,
using a sensor in each of the doubledown pipes, and feeding the reading
to a dual monitor.
Since I have only one carburetor, only one 02 was needed to get the A/F
reading. Nor was it necessary to use the heated (3 wire) sensor. No
"loop" to consider, and the 02 warms up quick enough for my purposes.

So. If you are wanting to use an 02 as a tuning aid, rather than a
control, You could do either of the following:

Convert to a single downpipe, simlar to the early TR250/6, and weld the
bung into the downpipe about 12 inches or so after the manifold flange
mates to the downpipe. The 02 will heat up enough to produce a reading
after about one minute of idling, or about 20 seconds on the road, from
a cold startup. Under most conditions, the reading will be accurate so
long as you don't stop the engine and let it cool.

Or...Use two 02s and a toggle switch to send the reading to the monitor.
You'll need to switch as you adjust the carb mixture. Kind of a pain,
but once you get the mix right, you don't have to do this very often, in
most cases, unless your engine is a work in progress.

Dick
tick-tock?

 From: johncnorth@gmail.com(John North)

Where is the best place to locate sensors...   Nelson Reidell suggests
in the middle of the down pipes.   I have the 76 double pipe system,
so I guess I need two sensors and a switch to get readings off both
carbs.   Any suggestions or advice?
John North