Re: [6pack] Locked Engine

To: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@yahoo.com>, "Crouter, Bruce CIC"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Locked Engine
From: "Ruffner, James A *HS" <JAR7U@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:16:14 -0400
None of these ODs will permit backing up when engaged due to the "free wheel,"
or unidirectional device.  You need to look at a visual digram to understand
this.

I use mine as  "hill hold" system. If I leave the car in gear with the OD
engaged when it is facing uphill, this device will keep the car from rolling
backwards.  Flip the OD switch, and the car immediately rolls backwards.

As Todd observes, if this is broken, which can happen but is very rare, it can
jam the OD.