Re: [6pack] Synthetic Oil Engine Damage

To: "Ruffner, James A *HS" <JAR7U@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu>, Bob
Subject: Re: [6pack] Synthetic Oil Engine Damage
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 23:33:36 -0600
James:

A local mechanic who runs an auto wreckers washes out the crud on resalable
cars by filling the sump with 15W40 Diesel Spec. oil, and running it for a
few hundred miles.  The extra detergents in the Diesel Oil wash out the
accumulated crud and sludge.  I figured that would be pretty had on the
bearings and cylinder walls.

Years ago my neighbor used diesel fuel to wash out the crud that was inside
his engine.  He used oil from his heating tank, (which also was used to fuel
his Dad's Mercedes).  He warmed up the engine, drained the engine oil, but
left the filter, filled the sump with Diesel fuel, and ran the car for about
20 minutes, drained the very dirty diesel, changed the oil filter and filled
the sump with fresh oil.  No problem.

When I bought a used Dodge, which had very dirty oil in it, I changed the
oil, but it turned real dirty in just a few days use.  So I did almost the
same thing as my friend had done.  The difference was I put in one quart of
10W30 oil and three quarts of Diesel, and ran the engine at idle for about
15 minutes, then drained the dirty oil, changed the filter and filled it
with oil.  The new oil stayed clean for a long time, like it should.  I
drove the car thousands of miles after that with no problems.

I once knew a guy who's company gave him a bottom of the line Pontiac, with
rubber floor mats, no carpets, plastic bench seat, six cylinder, automatic.
He drove it for three years without changing the oil, just to get back at
the company for giving hime the cheapest car they could buy.

It is a common practice here in Saskatchewan to mix one quart of synthetic
oil into regular oil during winter.

Ed Bratt
Regina, Saskatchewan
1976 TR6