Re: [6pack] Tuning concerns for >5000'

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, Pete Kronberg
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tuning concerns for >5000'
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:44:23 -0700
>===== Original Message From Pete Kronberg <pete_kronberg@yahoo.com> =====
>Folks,
>
>I've been a lurker for more than 2 years, having
>tragically lost my previous '6 in a divorce. I am,
>however, very happy to report acquisition of a much
>nicer one- a '75 BRG '6 that has always lived on the
>east coast.
>
>I'd appreciate any tips on tuning considerations for
>the relocation to Denver- arriving via transport later
>this month.
>
>Thanks, and...so very glad to be back in this lucky
>circle of owners!
>
>Pete

Hi Pete, What part of Denver are you in and how long have you been in
Colorado? The Rocky Mountain Triumph Club [ http://www.rockymountaintr.org/
]is Denver based and a very active and friendly club. If you live more on the
north side your more than welcome to visit the British Motoring Club of
Northern Colorado [ http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/BMCNC/ ].

One 'rule of thumb' at this altitude is to advance the timing about 5 degrees
and re-tune your carburettor (resetting the idle and mixture with the
different timing). The CD style of carburettor actually handles the change in
altitudes extremely well. Even better than early electronic fuel injection.
DCOE's really struggle in this environment on street cars because of the
drastic altitude changes that can happen in a short amount of time.

Further changes in altitude will produce noticeable, though not drastic, power
loss but the car will still be very drive-able. From central Denver you could
be at over 14,000 feet in just over an hour if you wanted to be. More
realistically would be altitude changes from 4,500 feet to 8,000 feet on a
typical fun drive through the front range. With short bursts over 9,000 feet.
If you need it, I can also recommend a range of LBC specific shops that can
also help you out. I canalso recommend some wonderful drives when the time
comes.

Enjoy!

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO