Re: [6pack] Hydraulic Jack Question

To: Bob Danielson <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>,
Subject: Re: [6pack] Hydraulic Jack Question
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:12:24 -0600
Bob:

Usually it is hydraulic malfunction, requiring repair or replacement.  I
have found that sometimes draining and replacing the hydraulic jack oil with
new oil will remedy it.

One other thing that can happen is air can get into the reservoir.    In
normal use there can be some air entry.  Most jack instructions say to open
the release valve only 1/2 turn when lowering.   Sometimes an operator will
lower the jack and leave the release valve open, letting air in.

If there is air in the jack, the way to remove it is; with the cylinder
fully retracted,  remove the valve, then fill the jack with jack oil.   A
disposable hypodermic from the farm store makes this easy.   Jack oil
substitutes are not to be used.  Leave the jack sit with the opening
uppermost and watch for escaping air bubbles.   If you are satisfied there
is no more air in the reservoir, replace the valve.

Ed Bratt
Regina, Saskatchewan
1976 TR6

Ed ----- Original Message -----