Re: [6pack] compression

To: "Alan Salvatore" <6parts@charter.net>, "6pack"
Subject: Re: [6pack] compression
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:52:48 -0800
        Al:

        Is your crankcase breather hooked up and working? If not, get it
hooked up. This would explain the oil getting pushed out of your pan
gasket; the crankcase is pressurized and that pressure has to go
somewhere.

        Are you using an external oil line to get extra oil to the valve
train? If so, remove it. This is often the source of excess oil
consumption. If your oil leak is large enough, it could account for the
consumption and the lack of smoke - the oil is being left all over the
road when you drive the car instead of being burned.

        What color are your plugs? Are they sooty black, grayish/brown,
or white? This will tell you if you car is running rich or not.

        As for the compression readings, they are high for stock, but
fine for a 9-9.5:1 modified motor. Look elsewhere for the source of your
oil loss.

        Vance