[6pack] ZDDP and modern engine oils

To: TR-6 list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] ZDDP and modern engine oils
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:51:12 +0000
Bob Lang mentioned this issue to me the other day and it went in one ear and
out of the other. The message finally sank in when I talked to a local
machinist who was telling me about the high numbers of flat tappet engines
that are starting to fail due to worn out cams and tappets.

Am I the only one on this list that doesn't know and is still using off the
shelf 20/50 with no additives ?

There is a good review of the situation here:

http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=49

The guy at the machine shop was suggesting a Crane additive or Comp Break In
Additive (include a bottle with each oil change) and Bob L mentioned special
oils designed for Diesel engine or racing engines etc. All of the remedies
mean doing something more than what I'm doing today..

Stan

Stan Foster | [cid:image001.gif@01C840E5.C12C1800] <sip:stan.foster@hp.com>
[cid:image002.gif@01C840E5.C12C1800] <mailto:stan.foster@hp.com>  | HP
Technology Solutions Group | +1 281 926 9015

image001.gif]

image002.gif]