Re: [6pack] Differential Leak

To: "Stuart Thompson" <stuartt@tlthompson.com>, "6 Pack list"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Differential Leak
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:20:31 +0100
Stuart Thompson wrote
> I just returned from vacation and decided to start up the Six after
> two weeks of sitting in the garage. I found a small puddle of oil
> which appears to be coming from the differential.  It was rebuilt
> in 2004 and I have never had it leak this much oil before now.

Stuart, check the jiggle pin on the top RH side of the diff housing. This is
a breather hole with a bent cotter stuffed in the hole that wobbles as you
drive and (should) keep the breather clear and avoid a pressure build-up
inside the diff.. Having had your diff rebuilt, it could be the jiggle pin
was never replaced and/or the hole got bunged up with paint. Anyway, check -
and if there isn't a jiggle pin, put one in. Just my 2 pence worth

Jonmac