Diff bracing

To: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Subject: Diff bracing
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:23:43 EST
Kevin:

I purchased all the brackets and new pins, with associated parts, from TRF
for my differential bracing project.  Everything was the correct size and
shape, and fit together fine.  The gauge of the steel was very heavy.   It had
holes for drainage and ventilation.  The only surprise was that the  guy on the
order line didn't have some kind of a parts list already made up for  this
common job.  Instead, we had to discuss which brackets, fasteners,  plates and
pins would be needed.  I think the whole thing came to around  $100.  That
sounds
like a lot of money, but I think that the time savings  for my mechanic (I
don't have the time or skills to make up metal brackets and  the like) more
than
repaid the cost.

I did not do the welding job, nor did my mechanic.  Instead, he called  in a
professional welder.  Apparently this guy travels all around Miami  with a
special truck set up with different sorts of welding equipment.  He  did an
awesome job--I guess welding is one of those things where practice makes
perfect.

Not the cheapest way to go about it, but the clunk in my driveline sure
disappeared after the repair.  It was like getting a new (old) car.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue
CF 57044U