Brake shims

To: 6-Pack email <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake shims
From: Mitch Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:41:10 -0500
Hi All,

I just received & installed the pad fitting kit from Moss. The kit
includes 4) pins 4) pin retainers clips 4) anti squeal shims & 4) spring
pin tensioners. I have never seen or used a spring pin tensioner on a
TR6. I have used them on BMW & others, but never knew Triumph even used
them. I have yet to see them in any catalog either. Even Moss doesn't
show them as part of the kit. They fit nicely & keep the pad from moving
around in the caliper.
As an observation, I noticed that the anti-squeal shims only cover a
little more than half of the brake piston. It's my thinking that this
could cause the piston to tilt slightly & possibly bind. As a matter of
fact one of my old shims had a cut-out where the piston wore through.
The car stops dead straight & the pads are wearing evenly but it seems
odd that the shim would not be the full size of the pad or at least
large enough to completely  cover the piston.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.