Warning Lights Mix Up

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Warning Lights Mix Up
From: Aledotr6@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:57:02 EST
I have scoured the archives trying to find a solution to what I am seeing
with my warning lights, but can't find anything.

When I turn the ignition on, the only light that illuminates is the oil
pressure light. The brake warning and ignition lights are off. When I start the
engine, the oil pressure light goes out and the ignition and brake warning come
on. What I don't understand is how the ignition light could work with the
engine running, but not when the engine is off. It is supposed to indicate a
drain
on the battery, which would be the case if the engine was not turning the
alternator.

I have checked the PWDA and the little piston is centralized. I am pretty
sure the alternator is charging, as if have been running the car the past week
and the battery has not run down. The volt meter stays at about 12.5, with or
without load.

These lights have worked in the way they should in the recent past. The only
thing I have done recently is replace the coil.

One other question, that may be a red herring, is about the alternator. I
noticed, while trying to solve the above issue, that the PO taped off the small
brown wire to the alternator. It has been like that the whole time I have owned
the car. The alternator has three spades, but only the big brown wire and the
little one to the warning light are connected. Could this explain why the
voltmeter does not fluctuate? Should I reconnect the wire?

Thanks,

Bud Trussell