Re: New Ansa pipes from Moss

To: "Shannon Muncy" <shannon.muncy@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: New Ansa pipes from Moss
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:40:03 -0500
> Has anyone tried the new Ansa exhaust setup from Moss?
>
> If so, what is your opinion?  Sound?  Installation?
>
> Do you have any pics?

Shannon, and others, I didn't see any replies to this so here goes.

I got the first batch of new ANSA TR6 exhausts over two years ago, and sold
out pretty quick before Moss even had them in stock...

My opinion on them.  They differ a little from the originals, but it is
mostly cosmetic.  There is no more "red band" at the inserection of the rear
muffler and the chrome tip.  This has been replaced with a crinkle silver
sticker that is hastily applied and often not applied smoothly.  Hard to
notice though unless at ground level looking right at the tips, can't notice
it from 5 or even 10 feet away.  Still, no excuse for being sloppy.  The
tips also don't seem to be as finished as nicely as the originals and the
tip now has ANSA laser engraved in it.  Another "sloppy" construction note
is that quite a few units have a bit of weld splatter on the tips that
wasn't removed.  Again, hard to notice unless you're right there looking at
the tips... but still for a $500 exhaust, I would have expected a bit more
care.

The sound, as far as I can tell, is very similar to the original ANSAs.  A
nice deep throaty sound still with a bit of sports car rasp.

Installation is fairly simple.  Remember that the ANSA only installs up to
the stock intermediate pipes, so if your intermediate pipes are rusty you'll
have to buy those new as well and replace them.  The ANSA systems use the
stock exhaust mounts, but only one little strap is used per side.

I have some pics, I will forward those to you off-list.

Overall the new ANSAs are still much better than the low-budget Monzas.  But
they're not as nice as the originals, and lack the characteristic red band
at the tip that most people remember of the original ANSAs.  I have a
customer that used 1/2" wide red vinyl tape to mimic the old style red band,
no idea how the tape is holding up under the heat though...

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics