Charcoal canister-removing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Charcoal canister-removing
From: French Blue <1975tr6@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 22:29:47 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
To get the total picture ... when I bought the car last March I discovered that
the exhaust manifold was damaged.  Several of the air induction tubes were
rusted through. I was able to locate a near perfect exhaust manifold from an
earlier TR6 without smog.  I removed the smog pump and all components.  The EGR
is still on but I put a rubber cap to plug off where the hose connected.

I'd like to remove the charcoal canister and need help on how and what to block
or cap off.  I want to do this because I'm getting a terribly sporadic idle.
The anti-run-on valve is not connected.  The line that is supposed to go back
to the tank is missing completely.  I just think it would be easier and less
costly then trying to put everything back to original.  The car, because of
it's age, is exempt from smog in my state so there are no legal issues.

I was thinking to install a little K&N filter on the valve cover and then cap
off the two large nipples on the carbs where the lines from the valve cover to
carbs ran.  I was also looking to cap off the two smaller nipples on the sides
of carbs, where the line from the canister to carbs ran.

Am I creating problems here?  Is there a better way to loose the canister
and/or block off the carbs?