RE: Ignition Lock

To: <Pimento73@aol.com>, <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Ignition Lock
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:57:49 -0700
    Jack:

        It seems that

        1. Replacement locks were metric, but original locks were
English, or..
        2. The factory used a mix of English and Metric, or...
        3. Later cars used Metric locks, in a similar manner to the
metric calipers fitted to later cars.

        I must admit I was very surprised when I rebuilt my 1974-1/2
steering column to find the lock used metric fasteners. I can say for
certain that mine had already had some work done, as there were new
shear bolts installed, but they had NOT been sheared. Needless to say
this made me happy at the time as it made removing the steering column
much easier.
        I guess the bottom line is that I cannot use my experience as a
reference point in this discussion since it seems entirely likely that
my lock was replaced at some point.
        As happens so often, my credibility has had some (more) holes
shot in it. Sigh.

        Vance