RE: rear axle removal

To: "james mc arthur" <jrmcarthur@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: rear axle removal
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:36:47 -0400
Once you have removed the nyloc nuts attaching the hub to the trailing
arm and disconnected the flange at the other end from the diff then the
entire axle should be free to move as long as it is not hanging up on
something (I assume you have removed the brake shoes and springs) and
you have the TA at a height that the axle is roughly straight so the
axle is not under stress. I would first try jiggling it and if it is
still not obviously separating from the trailing arm I might try a bit
of very very gently tapping just in case things have gotten a bit bonded
with age but the axle should be obviously free of all impediments and
should just need a bit of wiggling to fully extract. If it isnt moving
at all or showing signs that it is unwilling to part company with the TA
then something is wrong and I would step away from the vehicle and
ponder that for a bit. If the TA has previously been helicoiled I guess
it is possible that one or more studs are not perfectly straight and the
hub is binding there so you could try removing all the studs first if a
visual inspection doesn't reveal an obvious culprit.

It is possible to split the axle where it joins at the rubber gaiter.
Just undo the wire and the two parts should just slide apart. They are
keyed so it only goes back together one way. I doubt that will help
though other than confirm which end is stuck.

Stan