Re: Wheels

To: healeymonster@fastwave.biz
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: Pimento73@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:27:40 EDT
In a message dated 5/24/2006 8:10:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
healeymonster@fastwave.biz writes:

have in  the stable a 71 TR6 Barn find with no appreciable rust after being
stored  in our southern NM desert climate for 15-20 years.  I have a set  of
orig. wheels, complete with rings and hubs, and a set of US Indy "mags"  or
aluminum wheels, complete with center caps, and can't really decide on  which
ones to keep-

Here's the part where I solicit your  opinions-

Do the original wheels add any value to the car?  Or,  conversely, would the
Mags devalue or diminish the value of this  car?

Hi Ed

not sure what a US Indy mag is - got a picture of those?
American Racing wheels are usually the most valuable period mag or Al  wheels
(and the only ones currently considered period correct in Concours  judging)
but others can be worth something particularly if you have the original
center caps which often get damaged or go missing.

original steel wheels aren't all that valuable, but original AL trim rings
can be worth a fortune to those who care about originality, if they are in
pristine unscratched, undinged condition.

Why not keep both sets? keep redlines on the original wheels for the
original look, put some higher performance tires on the mags to have fun with.

Cheers
Jack Mc