RE: clutch questions

To: "Harry Hart" <hhart2404@charter.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: clutch questions
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:31:33 -0700
        Harry:

        Check the following items:

        1. Make sure your slave is mounted properly. It should be
mounted on the BACK side of the mounting plate (the plate that bolts to
the engine on which the slave mounts). It should be mounted with the
bleed valve UP.
        2. Make sure the slave push rod is attached to the center hole
in the lever arm on the clutch cross shaft.
        3. Make certain that the push rod has a new clevis pin, and that
the holes in the push rod fork are not elongated or enlarged. You should
have a good fitment with no slop in the linkage.
        4. Check the push rod and clevis pin for the master cylinder.
You should also use a new clevis pin, and the holes in the fork should
once again not be elongated or sloppy. You should have a slop free
attachment to the clutch pedal.
        5. Rebleed the system once you have verified all of the above.
        6. With a helper, measure the stroke of the slave cylinder push
rod when the clutch pedal is depressed. You should have at least 1/2",
preferably 5/8" of travel every time the clutch pedal is depressed.

        If you have checked all of the above, and you are getting the
correct stroke from your slave cylinder, then you probably have a broken
clutch fork pin. You will need to pull the transmission to confirm the
diagnosis and correct the problem. If your fork pin is broken, be sure
to use a roll pin or bolt IN ADDITION TO the replacement fork pin to
secure the clutch fork. This will prevent a recurrence.

        Let us know what you find.

        Vance