Gearbox Basics

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Basics
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:51:50 -0700 (PDT)
Hey List,

I don't really understand how all the gears work together inside the gearbox,
maybe someone can help me out. As I understand it from looking at the Blue TRF
catalog, there are 3 shafts involved in using the forward gears.

Input shaft, spins with the engine unless the clutch disconnects the two.

Main shaft, is connected directly to the driveline and spins any time the
wheels do.

Counter shaft, this is the one I'm not sure about... Does this always spin with
the input shaft, even when in neutral? Or does it stay engaged with the main
shaft at all times?

Is the counter shaft spinning (in the "power path") when you select 4th gear?
Or does the 4th gear so how connect the input and main shafts without the gears
on the countershaft?

What's a lay shaft?

Thanks for any wisdom that those of you who are in the know can pass along!

Kendall
San Clemente, CA
http://www.chrispens.org/~kendall/clutchpin.html