Re: overheating

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 15:26:51 -0700
 Cary---You may just have a minor issue to deal with. As Kendall
mentioned, be sure your ignition timing is correct when you're iding the
engine. I'd recommend running at around 1500rpm, with the timing close
to 20 deg. BTDC at this speed.  Altho it shouldn't be an issue with this
fast idle speed, block off the ignition retard hose, if still connected.

Once you're sure the air is out of the cooling system, put the radiator
cap back on. You didn't say what the temp was when it "overheated" but
I'll surmise it was close to boiling.

Placing a portable fan in front of the radiator can help, esp.  if
ambient temps are too high at your location.

Be sure the thermostat isn't in upside down. (Easy enough to do)

Dick

From: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: overheating

I just reassemlbed my 76 today and started it for the first time since
the restoration began. I let it run for about 20 minutes so I could burp
the cooling system. Well, after about 20 minutes the car overheated. The
coolant was completely full. I have never had it overheat before. I
rebuilt the water pump and replaced the thermostat when I had it apart.
Is it normal for these cars to overheat if they are just idling for a
while, or do I have a problem?