gear box shift rod o-rings

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: gear box shift rod o-rings
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:30:31 -0600
 In my never ending quest to stop the gearbox from leaking or realistically
slow down to a drip, well maybe not never ending but every since it was
rebuilt, I noticed the shift rod o-rings supplied by Moss didn't fit all that
snug to the shift rods and in the grooved section on the top cover and the
metal plate which holds them in place doesn't flatten them out for a good seal
like it should. I went to a local rubber and gasket place to find the
appropriate size, but was unable to find any that would be large enough to be
flattened out against the metal plate. So I went to the next larger size from
the supplied Moss o-rings which are metric (Sorry I don't have any numbers or
measurements). The o-ring is just a hair bigger. I hoping that this will cure
the leak if not I've thought about adding two o-rings at each rod so at least
the metal retaining plate will crush them enough to seal the shift rods.
Holymar was used in the grove at the top cover, but not where the o-rings will
touch the shift rod.
 No reports yet on the leak as it's raining so no driving.
 Plenty of fluid was coming out at each rod even though the metal was shinny
and unpitted. Also the rear seal was replace AGAIN due to leaking with a
Federal Mogul Double lip seal (#473234) Measures 1.687x2.505x0.312. I was
disappointed that it leaked because there is a speedi sleeve on the output
flange.
 OH yeah the gearbox top cover does come off without gearbox removal.

Just thought enquiring minds would want to know.

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com<mailto:RSH17@msn.com>
http://www.triumphowners.com/registry.cgi?sectionID=111014&vehicleID=92<http:
//www.triumphowners.com/registry.cgi?sectionID=111014&vehicleID=92>