Engine rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine rebuild
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:02:32 -0800 (PST)
I am currently in the process of building a "fast street" (at least I hope it
will be sort of fast) engine for my TR 6.  For the past two days I have been
working on the rods under the direction of a retired British car rebuilder.
After my daily fix ot the six pack discussions of the day I couldn't resist
adding my past tow days experience with my 6.  Thus far I have  sand blasted,
ground, machined polished the rods and rebushed the little ends of these things
 I haven't weighed them yet but believe I have reduced their weight by 1/4 to
1/3rd.  I now have a MUCH greater appreciation for those of you out there who
do this for a living.  Obviously my lack of knowledge has tripled or quadrupled
the amount of time it takes a professional to do the job but there is a certain
satisfaction (machaocism may be a better word) in working on your own engine.
Once I finish the other four rods it is off to the machine shop for shot
peening and checking the big and little ends for the proper
 clearance.  I won't go into the details on the rebore for the pistons,
grinding polishing on the crank and the work on the head.  Keep your fingers
crossed.  The only other thing I need is a lot more $$$$.  Cheers.

  Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6