Re: Trailing Arm Backet Differences

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trailing Arm Backet Differences
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:14:23 -0800
Bob---All other things being equal, such as when the car left the
factory, the t.a. brackets would have the same configuration on both
sides. But it is not necessarily wrong or unusual for these cars to now
have a mixed set. This is done to get both the wheel camber and ride
height more equal, when the usual methods fail. You may find either the
camber or ride height changes after installing the new bushings and
springs.
Some of the Moss Motors parts catalogues contain an article as written
by Brian Lanoway. It shows the various bracket combos and their effect
on both ride height and camber. If you want to change yours, this info
is a great aid in determining which way to go

Before you do any changing of parts, it would be good to measure from
the center of all (four) fender lips to the ground, so you can compare
to any changes. It is said that the stock ride height to be 28 inches.
Did you you said you wanted to lower this?

Meanwhile, the "alignment" shouldn't change much if at all, as this is
more to do with the number of spacers between the brackets and where it
attaches to the frame.

On another unrelated subject, but one that I gave you poor advise, let
me correct this by saying that it IS necessary to remove the
differential to change the TOP mounts. I had written that this replacing
of mounts could be done without taking this unit down. Sorry!  (Thanks
to Berry for bring this to my attention)

Dick

From: bfabie@earthlink.net(Robert Fabie)
In the process of re-doing my rear suspension, I noticed that the right
side inner bracket has three notches and the outer one has one. I have
read that this is the "normal" set up. However, on the left side, both
brackets have only one notch.
I've driven the car several thousand miles and have never noticed
anything "abnormal" about the handling. I have paper work showing a 4
wheel alignment was done some 8 years ago, just prior to my buying it.
Tire wear has been even, if not perfect on both sides.
Does having a one notch on the left inside bracket change the wheel's
camber or toe or does it alter it's height?
Robert Fabie