Re: Replacing Rear Springs –

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing Rear Springs –
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 12:28:10 -0800
 Marty---As Greg mentioned, the original rubber bushings have probably
collapsed
in the trailing arms, adding to the negative camber of the wheels. If
you are after "fixing" this sag, I'd change these bushings as well as
the springs. Consider using the urethane replacements, as they are
easier to install. (More on these bushings in another posting)  I think
you could do the whole job yourself, since you weren't shy about doing
the other repairs on your '74. The stock springs also sag over time and
allow the rear to squat under acceleration, as well as adding negative
camber when resting. Uprated springs will go a long way in keeping this
from happening.

Dick
'73

From:
marty.tr6@gmail.com(Marty Clark) I'm going to be taking my 74 TR6
(39,700 miles) in to have the rear springs replaced with the stiffer but
same ride height springs. Not something I think I can handle.
My question is as long as I'm having that done is there anything else
that it makes sense to have done at the same time? I am not mechanically
inclined and have never done any engine work but have done minor other
things like pulled the gas tank to have it boiled out and treated and I
replaced the master brake cylinder (but someone else had to bleed the
system). I'm not looking to rebuild the suspension or convert to tube
shocks just general maintenance because I'm sure nothing has been
touched in this area.
....The car has a definite rear squat and the bottom of the rear tires
are further out than the top half....

Marty Clark
Gilbert, AZ
1974 TR6 CF17352U