FW: Ignition Timing anomaly

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: Ignition Timing anomaly
From: Dave Murray <murr32@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:24:07 -0700
List participants;

Car details:

73, stock (as far as I know), ignition retard removed, timing set at 10BTDC.

Taking advantage of the nice weather, for late October in Calgary, AB, I
took my 6 out for a final? run of the season.  The car had a very noticeable
hesitation below 2000 rpm, above this everything was fine.  When I checked
the timing I found the timing marks to be nowhere near the pointer, at ~5
o'clock when viewed from the front.  The distributor was at or near its
usual position (for this car since I have owned it), retard capsule pointed
towards the MC.  When turning the dizzy to retard the timing the timing
marks would jump to ~11o'clock, advancing the dizzy would then smoothly
advance the timing for a few degrees before once again jumping to ~ 5
o'clock.

I have a vague recollection, aren't they all, about someone else
experiencing something similar but have been unable to find any relevant
postings.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to the cause/solution?

On another matter, I was planning to remove the engine this winter to "warm
it over", any recommendations for a suitable shop in Calgary, Alberta.

Dave

Phone: 403-279-1979

Cell: 403-608-6354

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This electronic message and its accompanying attachments (if any) may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise legally privileged.
Such information is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it
is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this message or
its accompanying attachments (if any) is prohibited.  If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender at 403-608-6354
and delete or destroy the original and any copy of this message.