Synthetic oil and break-in

To: "Six Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Synthetic oil and break-in
From: "Dennis Costello" <djc.tr6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:08:59 -0500
I see the reference again, and the curious question that has been in my head
for some time is this:  In the old days (60's) when I read the car mags, the
crosshatched cylinder was a fact, and break-in a usual process.  Even today,
on rebuilds, the new cam must be bedded in at a suitable RPM in order to
ensure lubrication.  The '61 Ford I had rebuilt in high school always used
about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles.  I was told that was a good sign, as
the rings and cylinder walls were being lubricated.  So, how is it that
today, with emissions as they are, and the oil consumption being held to a
minimum as a result, that engines don't seem to use drop from new, and there
is no run-in of the cam?  A friend in the agricultural diesel business says
the cams from the factory are coated (brain dead, can't remember what it
is).  So, better machining for a rounder cylinder, better materials for
reduced wear, er what?
old minds want to know!
-Dennis