RE: Installing new choke cable

To: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>, "6pack"
Subject: RE: Installing new choke cable
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:59:29 -0700
        John:

        If your choke cable is original, then the knob is probably glued
on to the choke cable! Mine was. Most of the knobs have a small hole on
the underside of the knob (use a dental mirror to spot if you can't get
your head down there to look). The knobs are held on by a spring loaded
pin that pops into the hole when you slide the knob onto the control
shaft. To remove the knob, you use a small screwdriver or perhaps a hex
key to reach into this hole and depress the pin, which allows the knob
to slide off the shaft.
        Unhappily, the choke cable is an exception to this scheme. For
some reason the chokes do not have the spring loaded pin to engage the
hole in the knob, so it seems that the factory glued the knobs on. There
may be some exceptions out there, so take this with a grain of salt. Try
depressing the retaining pin and sliding off the knob, but if nothing
happens, you will know why. It should not require any straining or
cussing. If your choke cable uses the retaining pin scheme, it will work
easily and the knob will pull off with a minimum of fuss.
        I ended up breaking my knob trying to loosen the glue and get it
off the choke cable. <Sigh> Nothing is ever simple. So I bought a new
knob. I did not want to go through this ritual the next time, so instead
of gluing the knob, I went to the hardware store and picked up a hex set
screw that was one size too large to slide into the hole for the
retaining pin. Using my trusty hex key, I pushed firmly on the set screw
as I twisted as if I were screwing in the set screw. The plastic is just
soft enough that the set screw will cut its own threads and screw into
the knob. Once it was threaded, I slipped the knob on the choke cable,
and tightened the set screw. It works perfectly and I will not need to
break the knob next time. Why the factory didn't do this is a mystery to
me. 'Course, why they didn't use the spring loaded pin in the first
place is also a mystery - kind of like most of the engineering on the
TR6.

        Cheers,

        Vance