RE: tops

To: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: tops
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:04:17 -0700
        Sloane:

        My TR6 (1974.5) already has 3 snaps below the quarter windows.
The issue is that if all
you do is unsnap them, then fold the top, the quarter windows may or may
not fold in such
a way that they tear. So if I understand what you are suggesting, then
this will not
solve the problem. I am assuming that this arrangement is OEM, and not
the result of
my DPO re-engineering the top.
        The only solution I am aware of is to unsnap the quarter window
snaps, and then
push the quarter windows down/into the car before lowering the top. If
you do this correctly,
the quarter windows will fold along a line mid window from front to
back, if that makes sense.
        No problems with this technique so far, but it does require
care. Let's face it, the
TR6 top is labor intensive to raise and lower, particularly when
compared to modern cars
like the Miata or cars that have a sunfast top.

        Cheers,

        Vance

        P.S. Speaking of DPOs, my latest discovery is that the
enrichment boxes on my carbs
were installed without gaskets. Sigh. No wonder they dribbled gas. And
the gaskets are not
available separately - guess I will need to make some.