RE: pop rivets - GRRRR!

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: pop rivets - GRRRR!
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:14:24 -0400
Jim,

I had the same difficulty at first with pop rivets and snap buttons. It
turns out that some riveters have a nose too wide to fit down inside the
snap button so they don't properly hold the rivet down tight when clinching.
The same riveter will work perfectly if you use a small spacer slipped onto
the pull pin of the rivet to hold it slightly away from the tool's nose.
Find a small nut or a stack of tiny washers thick enough to hold the
riveter's nose above the rim of the snap. With the spacer in place you can
push down on the riveter holding the snap tightly against the sheet metal as
the rivet is clinched. The spacer can be used over and over again if you
don't loose it when the rivet pops.

Does that make any sense at all? Doing it is sure easier than explaining it!

Rick Patton
75 Supercharged EFI TR6
http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/