RE: TR6 Taillights

To: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: TR6 Taillights
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 23:58:35 -0400
The chromed plastic parts are fixed to the metal frame by pushing their
pointy serrated plastic pins through the holes in the frame. They can be
coerced back out of those holes using some small diameter metal tube
inserted over the pointy ends so that the serrated plastic is compressed
enough to let the pin slip back out of the hole. It doesn't take much
compressing in my experience but as usual it takes some finesse, time
and patience which most sub-contractors lack.

There is also a school of though that says snip the pins off and glue
the plastic parts back on after you have figured out how to put a shiny
surface back on (paint, reflective tape etc).

I have had good luck getting these off without breaking them.

Stan

<snip>
Hello list. I've got my TR6 taillight bezels at the plating shop, and
I've run into a snag. I didn't remove the plastic cones from 2 of the
lights, and he's not sure how to do it without damaging them. Is there
an easy way? Can just the plastic cone come off, or does the stamped
metal plate that holds it in place have to be cut out?
</snip>