Re; Electronic ignition

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re; Electronic ignition
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 13:05:12 -0700
 Michael---If you don't mind an occasional checking of the point gap,
and replacing it from time to time (every 12,000 miles or so) then don't
bother changing.
The benefits for going "electronic" may save you some maintenance time,
IF you get a good one. It's really a tough call for an engine that's
only street modified.  If you go to a real CD electronic system, that is
one that increases the voltage to the plugs, this can greatly extend
both points and sparkplug life.
If plug fouling is one of the areas that causes misfires sooner than
you'd like, a CD system will help out here too.

High voltage ignitions systems are less fussy about the air/fuel
mixture, and help start the engine in poor air/fuel ratio conditions,
and in high altitudes. One that allows you to adjust the timng from
inside the cockpit is a blessing for those who have the need to do so.

If you don't fit into any of these situations,
learn how points operate, and save your money for some other goody!

Dick

From: SamuelsMA@aol.com Date: Sat, List members:
One of the reasons I purchased my '76 recently was an extensive list of
engine modifications including a complete engine rebuild, a balanced and
lightened flywheel, cylinder head porting, "bowl work" (whatever that
means), a high-performance cam, headers, a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio,
cold-air induction, and a new radiator. The previous owner claims that
the car makes about 145 hp at the flywheel, which seems about right as
acceleration is comparable to the
  '70 PI which I used to own.
Anyway, I was looking under the hood the other day and realized that
something I expected was missing--there was no electronic ignition box
screwed onto the side of the engine compartment. My '70 had this
modification. I took off the distributor cap, and it looks to me like a
regular breaker/points system. I admit that I haven't ever seen one
before, but it looks like the photo in the Haynes manual.
My question is: Is a conversion to electronic ignition pretty universal
at this point, or is it unnecessary if the original type system is
functioning well? What are the differences in maintenance? The manual
discusses examining the condition of the points from time to time to
look for wear or pitting. If this is a once or twice a year thing, I
don't mind, but if a conventional ignition system will be a constant
headache, I will switch it over using an MSD system or the like.
Thanks.
Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue
CF 57044U