Re: Amp gauge surge to +

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Amp gauge surge to +
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:50:51 -0700
Aaron and Walt----It's common for the cars with the ammeter for the
needle to dive out of sight on the plus side, after startup. After a few
seconds It's then supposed to stay mostly at the center position, unless
there's a load on the battery.

For years, my conversion to Delco also had the "glowing red light" after
startup, when the engine was left at low idle. I read somewhere that it
took "some additional revs to signal the alternator to start producing",
so I didn't give this much more thought. Recently these extra revs is
not necessary. The Voltmeter will go straight to around 14.5V even when
left at idle speed. Interesting...

It's not necessary to fatally bugger the wiring harness plug when
converting. Making spade connections from the Delco wires to fit the
plug will work, in case you should ever want to go back to the Lucas
alt. (?)

Dick
'73

From:
acekraut11@aol.com Date: Fri, Jun 10, 2005, 5:03pm (PDT+3) To:
lbc4me@hotmail.com, 6Pack@autox.team.net Subject: Re: Amp gauge surge to
+
Walt,
I did opt for the GM alt conversion and my set-up does exactly what you
say. The needle will blip off the gauge then settle to just a little on
the plus side. While running mine is always charging a little over.
    Not sure if this indicates a problem or if the extra items I
have on the car just draw a little more umph. Also, when my car starts,
if I dont blip the throttle the red ignition light will glow and the
ammeter will indicate a draw until I raise the revs up over about 1300
rpm. Everything works just fine for the last 5K miles so I just live
with it. If you receive any responses off list please summarize your
findings and report it to the list.
Cheers,
Aaron
Aaron Cropley