Re: rear tube shock/frame repairs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear tube shock/frame repairs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:40:44 -0700
Ryan----I also have the rear tube shocks (KYB) but without the
affliction that has possessed some who have done this conversion. I will
pass on to you some ideas, in case they were overlooked.

     The area on the frame where the bracket bolts to should be clean
and straight. We want maximum surface contact here, to spread out the
load. A coating of Loc-Tite between these wouldn't hurt, altho I did not
do this.

     The bump rubbers on top of the trailing arms should make contact
with their stops, well before all of the rod length is used up in the
shock. No energy from "bottoming out" should be absorbed by the shock
mount.

Finally, any "scraping/squealing" noise sounds suspiciously more like a
flexing U-joint,  or a complaining rear hub bearing, than flexing sheet
metal.

Let us know what you find!

Dick

Ryan.van.Luchene@celeradiagnostics.com(Ryan van Luchene) wrote:

Guys..i think the repairs done to my frame after damage from the rear
tube shock conversion have broken again.
i began hearing a loud "click" from the rear when starting off or when
making a slow turn. now when i accelerate hard or go up steep hills
(making the rear end do the TR6 squat) i hear a
terrible scraping/sqeaking noise back there.

i didnt have a chance to jack up the rear and investigate last night,
but i have a feeling that's whats going on.
does anyone know if someone sells a reinforcement/gusset kit for this
area of the rear crossmember near the shock mounts? or if someone has a
design template that i can use to have a kit made?
ryan
71 imperial blue with the shock conversion.