Re: Yet another rear clunk question..

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Yet another rear clunk question..
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:12:10 -0400
Dick as usual offers some sound advice.

 One word of caution on the replacement axles. I had one in my hands a few
years ago and it had as much play in the sliding fit as a worn out used one.
After that I've been hoarding good used rear axle assemblies. Maybe the most
recent ones are better, like I say it's been a few years. A badly worn axle
will actually 'hunch up' as it is loaded. Not good! Something that makes
diagnosing axles difficult is that the axle wear occurs in a spot with the
weight on the wheels, so if you jack the car up to check, the axles will
slide out to an unworn area and check out  OK.

What MAY be your problem (if the axles and exhaust check out) is that the
bronze spider spacers are trashed or completely worn away, and there is too
much play in the diff. Hold onto one side axle and rotate the driveshaft
back and forth to see how much 'slop' exists before the opposite axle moves.
You'll feel and see it if there is axcessive play. If this condition is
allowed to remain you will eventually ruin your pinion gear.

Jim