RE: AGAIN with the thrust washer(s)!?!

To: "Pete Kronberg" <pete_kronberg@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: AGAIN with the thrust washer(s)!?!
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:42:59 -0700
        Pete:

        There are indeed two (and only two) thrust washers, one each
side of the rear main bearing saddle (e.g. one on the side towards the
clutch, and one on the side towards the cam drive cover.)
        Each thrust washer is SEMI-CIRCULAR, so only 1/2 of the crank
journal is in contact with a thrust washer at a time. This 'feature' has
been widely criticized and is the source of much hand wringing by TR6
owners. Your description is accurate, and is what would be expected
unless the engine has been modified at some point in it's past.
        Some TR6 owners have the bearing cap modified, and then pin TWO
ADDITIONAL thrust washers, one on each side of the rear main bearing
cap. These two additional bearings on the cap, combined with the
original two bearings resting on the bearing saddle, make a total of
four semi-circular or two fully circular thrust washers.
        To achieve the proper end float, you measure the existing end
float and then measure the thickness of the thrust washers. Then look on
the back of the thrust washers to see the original thickness. You use
these three numbers to compute how much thicker or thinner the thrust
washers should be when new, and then you purchase washers of the correct
thickness to bring your end play into spec. Moss sells several different
thickness, which you can mix and match to bring your end float into
spec.

        Cheers,

        Vance