RE: TR6 Dash - Color and Finish

To: "Sean McCafferty" <mccafferty@sympatico.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Dash - Color and Finish
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:51:06 -0700
        Sean:

        The original TR6 dash was French Walnut which is reddish brown
which fades to a wonderful golden color with time and sunlight. The
original finish was satin (presumably for glare) while the very earliest
TR6s (Or was it the TR250? - don't remember) had a gloss finish. To
check yours, look at the inside of the glove box lid. That will show you
the original color and finish of your dash. The finish applied at the
factory was transparent, and they relied on the natural color of the
wood to make it the original reddish-brown. No stain or pigments were
used.
        If you want that beautiful golden color, I recommend sanding off
the finish on your original dash, and re-varnishing, as you are not
going to get the same rich color without a lot of sunlight falling on
your new dash.
        As for whether or not Teak will fade to a similar color, I can't
say.
        You can add a coat of gloss spar varnish to your new dash if you
wish to change the finish. You will need to buff it out to eliminate any
imperfections or dust after you coat it.

        Vance