Re: air compressor

To: jserignese@notes.cc.sunysb.edu, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air compressor
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:59:51 -0600
Jim:

   My  compressor is one that I put together many years ago. Mother Earth
News carried an article about making a shop compressor from a salvaged
refrigerator.  It looked easy, but I wanted a little heavier duty unit, so I
picked up a compressor from a discarded commercial display freezer, and
bought a pressure switch/regulator, and some quick connectors, and hoses.

  I can attach the compressor to whatever tank I need; either a portable one
or a 40 gallon verticle one in my shop.  The compressor was used for two
seasons of applying cedar shake roofs.  I do not know the output other than
I set the shutoff at 100lbs.  No idea what the flow in cubic feet per minute
is, but it is enough to keep an air nailer running constantly all day.

And it runs silently, so much so that you sometimes stop and listen to see
if it is still going, and it always is.

Here is what a similar homebuilt compressor outfit looks like:

http://www.theworkshop.ca/genwork/Compressor/compressor.htm

Ed Bratt
1976TR6