Advice on sleeving Brake Master Cylinders

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on sleeving Brake Master Cylinders
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@nec.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:02:11 +1200
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We've just had a fantastic summer here in NZ. I'm pleased to say that Mr TR6
got a lot more use this year than in previous years.  The most memorable
weekend was the Wings over Wairarapa airshow in January.  Gorgeous weather,
temp in early 30's (mid 80's for non metric folks;-) great company and
fantastic driving roads.  Add some old WW1 biplanes and the result is a
weekend made in heaven for this little boy :-)))

With summer drawing to a close, it's now time for me to look at my winter
job list for the TR6. After discovering this weekend that the brake master
cylinder has given up the ghost, I'm now looking at a rebuild. The bore of
the cylinder is quite corroded - to the point I'm not happy to simply
install a new seal kit.

I can have the cylinder resleeved locally, but I have the choice between a
brass sleeve or a stainless steel sleeve.  The prices are pretty close. Is
there any advantage in stainless over brass?  Or am I just overthinking
this?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Bernard Robbins