Timing for New Engine

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing for New Engine
From: "Don Becker" <dr.becker@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:05:47 -0700
Hello Listers,

First off - Thank you to the list for all the help during the past 3 years.
All the valuable information has allowed me to get to the point of starting
up my almost fully restored 74 TR6 however, I have a question regarding
"where to set the timing for a new engine". The engine is basically stock
with a new block, pistons, cam, etc.

I've checked the valve timing, adjusted valves, installed the driving dog
gear, distributor, verified oil pressure (75psi @ starting motor rpm), set
the dwell and so far everything has been per the text book. However, when I
checked the timing with a strobe light (retard hose disconnected and
blocked) it's hitting the mark @ about 12 degrees BTDC. (I'm using a remote
starter switch to spin the engine) Furthermore, attempts to adjust the
timing towards 4 degrees ATDC did not work. It seems that 12 degrees BTDC is
as close as I can get.

Does the timing need to be set at 4 degrees ATDC before I start it? Any help
from the list would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don Becker
'74 Mallard Blue