Rust and Undercoating removal.

To: "siberian" <siberian@siberian.org>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rust and Undercoating removal.
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:15:20 -0800
        John:

        Much better than I would have hoped, given the pinholes in the
floor pan and fenders.
        I tried using the torch and scraper undercoating removal method.
It works fine,
is a bit tedious, makes an awful, choking stink, and simply cannot be
done in the garage
if your wife is to remain your wife for very much longer. (Might be a
plus, depending on
how you get along with your wife).
        My approach was to buy a $40 4-1/2" angle grinder at Lowes,
along with a couple of knotted
wire cup brushes. I pulled the tub off the frame, had a neighbor help me
flip it over onto
a couple of saw horses in the driveway, and used the angle grinder with
the brushes.
        That thing BLASTED the undercoating off almost as fast as I
could drag it around on the
tub. And like Tim "the tool man" Taylor, I felt very manly when I was
done - Except that
I don't have Pamela Anderson as my tool girl. That's the good part.
        The bad part is that you end up with black crumbs of
undercoating EVERYWHERE. It
piles up on the ground, but also lands on your clothes, hair, face,
hands, shoes, etc and
it is just sticky enough that you end up washing your hair about 5 times
to get it all out.
        So wear a face mask, safety glasses, a disposable hair net of
some sort, and most
definitely wear coveralls, disposable gloves and crappy shoes. When you
are done, use your
shop vac to vacuum up all the crumbs in the driveway, or the EPA will
declare your home
a superfund site. Your shop vac will weigh about 20 lbs more when you
are done.
        All of this beats lung cancer and a divorce, and the rush of
using a new power tool
simply *cannot* be beat.
        Bwuh-hah-hah-haaaah! Nothing can stop me NOW! <insert chest
thumping sounds here>.

        Vance